What safety tips are there for using an insulin pump?
Show that you have the commitment to use a pump safely by:
- Switching to multiple daily injections (MDI) (four or more injections a day)
- Performing four or more blood glucose readings a day and acting on the results
- Counting the carbohydrates you eat and adjusting your mealtime insulin doses
- Adjusting your insulin dose according to accommodate exercise, illness, stress etc
- Keeping good records and reviewing your results regularly to spot patterns that may be addressed by changing your insulin doses
If your consultant prescribes insulin pump therapy, he/she will arrange the funding and training. Discuss timelines with your diabetes care team for training.